Hey everyone. I wanted to post something quick to show you what I'm working on right now. I found an STL file online for a 3D printable Eldar Hornet. I decided to give it a go. This sucker is printed at a 0.15mm layer height and uses supports, since it's such a complex model. The supports allow me to print the thing as one piece, but totally mess up the bottom of the model. This isn't really an issue since you never really see the bottom of a model like this in game.
This is all the support material that I had to pry off the model after the print completed.
As you can see, this is perfectly serviceable for an essentially free proxy. I have maybe $3 or so in filament materials tied up in this model. It did take about 18 hours to print, but that was largely a press a button and walk away process.
You can see some snags here and there. I have yet to clean the model up at all. This is straight off the printer and pulled away from the support materials.
Here, you can see what I mean by the underside being a mess. This is just a common side effect of having used support material. Alternately, I could have printed the thing in segments, always making sure to have a flat underside. The way I did it is quicker and actually looks better from above. Also, the whole thing is a single piece of plastic, so no assembly was required and it's unlikely that anything will ever snap off.
Now, I just need to print another three. The plan is to have two set up as long range, heavy weapons platforms and another two set up as highly mobile Shuriken Cannon platforms.