The standard sculpted hero bases aren't bad looking, but I wanted something a little better for Ardus. I clipped the peg out of a hero tray and started in with some cork. I also used an old banner from some old Warhammer kit I found in my bits box. I'm pretty happy with the result.
If tomorrow is nice, I'll try to do some priming. It would be awesome to have at least one painted mini in time for my game night on Friday. I don't think these will be too hard to paint.
Cutting these guys off the bases is super easy. Heat up a razor knife using a candle flame. Once it's good and hot, it should slice through the feet like butter. Obviously, be careful, wear eye protection, etc. Also, the knife blade will be ruined pretty quickly by the melted plastic.