I got a little bored this weekend and decided to do a little design work practice. I wasn't trying to do anything very complicated. I'm aware of my limitations. I know how to use Google Sketchup and not much else. This pretty much limits me to anything NOT including organic shapes.
I decided to work on some sort of old school military computer equipment - the sort of stuff you're likely to see in the "abandoned bunker" scene in movies.
I think it's turning out ok so far. I did a quick 'institutional green' coloring to make it look like it does in my head.
First up are the first four components that I quickly worked up.
The little holes on the side are 3mm across and 1mm deep. They're intended for 3x1mm magnets. The idea is that the "floating" pieces would actually be help in place with magnets.
And lastly, a quick shot of several pieces put together.
My end goal is to get one of each part printed out and then to cast up a bunch for my gaming group.
And I know they still need work. They're a little blocky, but very much works in progress!